[linux-audio-dev] LV2 library API

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jun 1 08:42:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 03:09:33 -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> I'm a bit unhappy that it makes code longer and more messy though.  The
> primary design goal here is to make host code as terse and simple as
> possible.  strcmp'ing a string and then freeing it is quite a bit uglier
> than just testing an enum val :/

This is maybe a PITA, but what about a runtime provided enum list, like:

foo_enum = { { FOO_FLOAT, LV2_FLOAT_URI },
             { FOO_MIDI, "http://example.org/datatypes/midi" },
	     { 0, NULL } };
lv2_set_urilist(foo_enum);

the library can contain an builtin enum list that is set implictly, ie. it
does lv2_set_urilist(lv2_internal_enum); when it starts.

that way simple hosts can just use it as is, and more complex ones can
specify the types they support, and everyone gets to use ints.

- Steve