[linux-audio-dev] Writing LADSPA plugins in high level language?

Steve radarsat1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 15:36:35 UTC 2006

> Pyrex is good for making faster python libraries, which is a great
> thing, but it won't help with the problem that you really
> don't want to be running a python interpreter inside a realtime
> dsp system.

Yes, that's sort of what I meant...
I.e., languages like Pyrex allow to compile portions of python to
native machine code, but it would be nice to have a language like that
intended specifically for writing stand-alone native applications that
aren't interpreted and could be stuck into DSP systems and realtime
threads.

For instance, at run-time, we don't necessarily need all the debugging
features like backtracing and exception handling. (Okay exception
handling isn't exactly a debugging feature but you know what I mean.)

But that doesn't mean that a nice expressive language other than C
can't be used to generate lean code. It just, afaik, hasn't been done.

I only meant to suggest that Pyrex is sort of a step in the right direction...

Steve