[linux-audio-dev] Writing LADSPA plugins in high level language?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Jun 14 22:06:01 UTC 2006

Hallo,
Albert Graef hat gesagt: // Albert Graef wrote:

> But I agree, there is no point in using interpreted languages to program
> DSP algorithms which operate on the sample level. If properly designed,
> they are o.k. for providing the glue between ready-made units which
> operate on the block level (like SC does, and CSound, and ...), but not
> for sample-level stuff.

And that's pretty much the standard invented by, I think, Max
Matthews: the concept of a "ugen", a building block which itself
operates on sample level, but which is designed in a way, that it can
be combined to actually useful (musically) higher level constructs,
that operate on bigger structures (blocks of samples most of the
time).

Every decent sound software nowadays, like SC, Pd, Csound of course,
and plugins systems like LADSPA, VST etc. works by basically following
that model. They do so not only because it's efficient (it sometimes
isn't), but because it is easier to *think* in ugens, than to think in
samples (especially once you do stuff like frequency domain
processing, which is hard to *think* in on a sample level).

Ciao