[linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatelaleniaspace.com
Mon Jun 19 12:15:02 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 12:04:56PM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> It's rather LADSPA which shot itself in the foot:
> With LADSPA, fixed data fields providing information about the plugin (like
> the number and type of ports) are inside the plugin binary, resulting in a
> number of problems:

All of them fake.

> * There is lots of tedious, but quite complex code for providing data needed
> inside every plugin source.

False. Its bl**dy simple, unless you want to make it difficult.

> * The plugin has to be loaded and linked to retrieve any information about it.

> * There's no support for internationalisation.

It could easily be added without breaking anything.

> * Adding anything to the static data means breaking binary compatibility.

No it doesn't, unless you want it to.

Reminds me of the description, in Colin Crouch's wonderful book
"Postdemocrazia", of how privatisation was sold to the British
public, and the story of the lamb and the woolf which he uses to
illustrate the process:

  A lamb and a woolf are both are living near a river, not far
  from each other.

  Woolf: Lamb, you are pollution my water ! You'r pi**ing in it and
         I have to drink it ! Therefore I will kill you.

  Lamb:  But you know that isn't true ! I'm living downstream from you,
         so you are polluting *my* water !

  Woolf: That doesn't matter. I'll kill you anyway.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!