[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jun 19 21:34:05 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 01:55:27PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:
> > API so far is at http://ftsf.technetium.net.au/code/ladgui/ladgui.h
> >
> > what i'd like to know is, if this is a stupid idea ^_^
>
> The idea itself isn't stupid, but the implementation is.. let's say less
> than wise.
>
> (Consider my personal blatant bias, but...) I'd suggest taking a look at
> LV2.  There is a data file you can add all this information to (whatever
> information you want to), without defining any APIs, changing any host
> code, etc, etc.

The provisional LV2 spec is at http://lv2pluig.in/ it could do with some
human language text explaining the technical parts, not just C and RDFS,
but I think theres enough there to make sense of it.

FWIW, I think the "not changing any code" thing is a blind, someone,
somewhere has to change some code if you want new behaviour*. To me the
critical thing is not that, but that a display function or whatever only
solves half the problem. You would also like the app to be able to
"understand" the control value and it's units. But I said that allready :)

* though not if you don't which can be more of an advantage than you'd
  think.

- Steve