[linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 03:48:48 UTC 2006

On 6/19/06, Jez Kabanov <jez at technetium.net.au> wrote:

> > The idea itself isn't stupid, but the implementation is.. let's say less
> > than wise.
> >
> > (Consider my personal blatant bias, but...) I'd suggest taking a look at
> > LV2.  There is a data file you can add all this information to (whatever
> > information you want to), without defining any APIs, changing any host
> > code, etc, etc.
> >
> > You definitely shouldn't have to break binary compatibility of things
> > just to add some hints for hosts, this is the problem LV2 is meant to
> > solve...
> >
> > -DR-
> while i'm no expert in this area, i'm having some trouble understanding
> your rationale.
>
> how is it breaking binary compatibility?
> is binary compatibility even an issue?
>
> shouldn't the host just look for the plugin and load it and check for
> the existence of a symbol,
> if it exists then call it,  otherwise it doesn't and everything is just
> as it was.
>
> the host never need know anything about the binary structure of the
> plugin except to know that there's a function called "ladspa_descriptor",
> adding ladgui certainly doesn't stop old hosts from loading and using
> the plugin,
>
> i've modified nekobee to use ladgui and it runs exactly as it used to in
> an unmodified rosegarden,
> so how is binary compatibilty an issue?
>
> whereas LV2 breaks compatibilty with old plugins (this seems like more
> of an issue to me), adds a lot of complexity and requires the host to
> use an additional liblv2 library.
>
> - Jez

Noticed you mentioned dssi gui's here. I'm interested in adding some
kind of dssi wrapper to khagan so gui's built in khagan can be used
for dssi's easily. It's on the todo for the next release
http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Khagan_Todo however
since i wrote the todo i've got a full time job programming python and
my interest in touching a computer has waned and i spend my limited
spare time with my lovely washburn bass and 70's pawn shop acoustic.
If you'd like to add this kind of thing to khagan for dssi's and maybe
lv2 plugins that could be quite interesting.

Loki