[linux-audio-dev] Re: LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

Dave Robillard drobilla at connect.carleton.ca
Sun Jun 25 06:01:48 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 08:35 +0100, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 09:05:33 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> > Because people actually use them in Om, because people actually use Om
> > unlike certain other modulars. volt per octave is pretty damn obscure
> > in a computer program.... If i wanted to have a cutoff at concert A
> > what the hell is that in volts per octave?S
>
> Zero typically. I have to take issue with this, 1.0f per octave is the
> natural way to preresent things like filter cutoff in a modular. It's what
> makes the great modular systems so easy to work with.

Nonsense.  As a numerical unit it has no meaning whatsoever, and the
unit actually used has no bearing on the user interface provided (which
should of course be exponential).

The only sane unit for frequency is Hz.  As Loki said, if I want a
cutoff at concert A, I (like any musician) know that's 440Hz.  Whatever
arbitrary ugly real number it is in "V/Oct As Defined By AMS" is not
something I or anyone else cares to know.  Any table of frequencies, or
math app, or damn near _anything_ that deals with frequencies will
present it in Hz.  If you can come up with a real reason why this
arbitrary "AMS V/Oct" makes any sense in a _digital_ modular, I'd like
to hear it.

Anyway, Hz is the SI unit for frequency.  Beat that. :P

-DR-