[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Extension for Extra GUI Data

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatelaleniaspace.com
Mon Jun 26 13:03:30 UTC 2006

On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:19:21PM +0100, Steve Harris wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 01:53:13 +0200, Alfons Adriaensen wrote:
>
> > If the GUI is in a separate process and connected by e.g. OSC, it
> > could as well be on a machine that doesn't have the plugin files.
> > Or that has a different version of them (for perfectly good reasons).
> > To ensure consistency the GUI should get its plugin descriptions from
> > the host anyway. This works even with POL (Plain Old Ladspa).
>
> True enough, but with POL if the frontend and backend mahcines are different
> architectures or operating systems then you have a problem.

If send the raw binary data, yes, that's Inviting Trouble (IT).
But if it's correctly OSC encoded there shouldn't be a problem.
Anyway I guess a host would not use the raw LADSPA data, but a
rather a more general format that it could use to describe its
internal modules or other plugin formats as well. The GUI doesn't
need to know if a module is built-in, LADSPA, LV2, or any other
format. One more reason for not having it read the LV2 itself.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!