[linux-audio-dev] Envelopes

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Fri Jun 30 11:35:53 UTC 2006

On Fri, 30 Jun, 2006 at 07:01AM -0400, Dave Phillips spake thus:
> james at dis-dot-dat.net wrote:

> >>There's about a million pounds of something at the White House in
> >>Washington DC...
> >>
> >>Born in the USA,
> >>

> >I was born in the UK, and I think I'm missing the joke.
> >

> It's a currency conversion joke (a poor one too). We use dollars for $$$
> and pounds as a measure of weight.

Hehee!  This reminds me of playing isketch in the English-UK rooms.
There would always be 50% americans who would complain that people
didn't use proper words and always use $ for money.

I should have got the pounds thing though.  It's not like we don't
have them.  Some people have managed to resist metrification even
now.  You can go and ask for 2lb of bacon (mmmm, 2lb of bacon) but
they can't advertise 2lb of bacon.

> Ergo: There's a million pounds of (descriptive noun deleted) on Capitol
> Hill.

I trod in a pile of deleted descriptive nouns the other day.

> Ah, for the days before Babel, when all men spoke one language. I think
> it was a proto-BASIC...

I'm church of the latter-day Gnu, so I KNOW that the world has only
been around for 40 years or so, and everyone spoke Lisp.

James