[linux-audio-dev] fst, VST 2.0, kontakt

Forest Bond forest at alittletooquiet.net
Fri Jun 30 14:44:41 UTC 2006

> > In any case, Linux Sampler and Kontakt are
> > different sorts of samplers at this point. Linux Sampler is more in the spirit
> > of Gigasampler, and Kontakt is more like an emulation of a hardware sampler (but
> > vastly more flexible).
>
> The key words there are "at this point."  As noted, the *long-term*
> potential of Linux Sampler is probably still much greater than Kontakt-in-wine.

Agreed.  Maybe time is best spent improving linux sampler.  Then again, good VST
has benefits, although I do see how it may hurt the long term goals of free
software.  I'm just not sure if the best way to help free software is to limit
it's ability to integrate with proprietary software.

> > Noted.  However, I remain unconvinced that Linux Sampler is intended to be a
> > drop-in replacement for something like Kontakt.
>
> I don't think it's intended to be a drop-in replacement for Kontakt; I
> think it's just intended to be cool.

I can appreciate that.

-Forest