[linux-audio-dev] Juce now has ALSA support!

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Wed Mar 1 17:59:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 12:51 +0000, Julian Storer wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>
> > Julian Storer wrote:
> >
> >> Am I right in assuming that by default you mean the "plughw:"
> >> devices? On my machine the plughw: device glitched constantly, but
> >> the hw: devices worked really well. There was also some other reason
> >> I chose that.. can't remember offhand what it was though.
> >
> > "default" means just that. use the name "default" instead of
> > plughw:.... or hw:0,0
> > If the device glitched when using "plughw:" then it is a bug in ALSA
> > or your application.
> > How is you application deciding on sample rate?
>
> > There is no sensible reason to ever use the "hw:0,0" device. Always
> > use the "plug:front" and friends.
> > If an application only works with "hw:0,0" it has been written wrongly.
> >
> Ok, at the risk of "spreading the myth" that the ALSA documentation is
> bad... is this stuff actually explained anywhere?? It took me a day of
> googling just to find out what the two numbers after "hw" meant! I never
> saw anything mention "default" or "plug:front", etc.
>
> Not sure if it'd be appropriate anyway, though, as my API exposes a list
> of drivers and lets the user choose which one to use, and the sample
> rate, rather than just using the default driver.

Here is some information:

http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html

You are right that there's not a lot of "user-level" documentation for
ALSA, because it's not really intended to be used by end users - ALSA
provides a complete HAL which more user friendly APIs like JACK are
built on top of.  You would not write a complex app in straight Xlib...

The standard approach for open source development is to ask about it on
one of the many mailing lists or IRC channels, rather than forging ahead
on your own with only Google as your guide.  Due to the proliferation of
Wikis by less informed users, most of the information that Google
returns is half-wrong.

Lee