[linux-audio-dev] Juce now has ALSA support!

Jussi Laako jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi
Thu Mar 2 18:27:35 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 09:17 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:
> the framebuffer") was remarkably complex to do. ALSA strikes me as much
> the same way, at every level, from the kernel API, to libasound, to user
> space utilities.

> one could argue, as Lee has done, that people (programmers, users)
> should be using higher level APIs and leave the complexity behind, but
> somebody or something has to deal with it at some point in order to get
> sound in or out of the machine.

I somehow find this a bit funny. OSS has been dealing with these things
at driver level and hiding the complexity pretty well. And it also works
for pro cards like my Delta1010. First it was argued that there wasn't
enough control and ALSA was better. Now ALSA has taken this to the other
extreme and now we are arguing if it's too complex.

Truth is probably somewhere between, as usual...

--
Jussi Laako <jussi.laako at pp.inet.fi>