[linux-audio-dev] a bit off topic: GUI-lib-programming (how does it usually work?)

James McDermott jamesmichaelmcdermott at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 17:10:43 UTC 2006

> I'm still thinking about linking objects. You know like in ams,
> link oscillator to filter. So osc-output goes into filter-input. I have some
> ideas on the topic though.

A while ago I was thinking about a nice way to display this type of
information without graphics. I didn't come up with anything better
than a Makefile-style syntax.

Consider Om or AMS as an example: suppose we have a sawtooth
oscillator node and a sampler node feeding into a filter node, and the
filter node feeds into the master sink node. We can just write that
as:

sink: filter
filter: sawtooth sampler

Those two lines read, as they would in a Makefile, as "sink depends on
filter" and "filter depends on sawtooth and on sampler".

If this is totally useless to the project at hand, someone please put
me out of my misery...

James