[linux-audio-dev] OSS, Line in directly to Line out?

Florian Schmidt mista.tapas at gmx.net
Wed Mar 15 10:23:48 UTC 2006

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 10:17:49 +0100
"Tobias Scharnberg" <elisa.zwei at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello List,
> this might really be a dumb question, but anyway: When I have an
> Audio-Source on Line-In or MIC, what do I have to do to directly
> output it to LineOut?
>
> Is it possible to directly put it through by using /dev/mixer ? Or do
> I have to record the Line-In audiostream in a buffer and then read
> from the buffer for output? At least duplex capability is given in my
> device!
>
> And: I really can't use ALSA for that device, which is a shame.

It depends on whether the soundcard supports this. Usually on comsumer
grade hw you do have the option to route the analog line input directly
to the analog line output.

I just don't have an idea on how to do this with OSS. In ALSA you just
go the playback page of the mixer and pull up the line-in fader there
(which is distinct from the line-in fader in the recording page of the
mixer, which determines the level of input when actually recording from
that line in).

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!