[linux-audio-dev] Alsa Problem

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Mon Mar 27 09:31:38 UTC 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 14:09 +0100, Richard Spindler wrote:
> > I'm using snd_pcm_writei to playback some audio, however, after a
> > little time the call fails with the error: "File descriptor in bad
> > state", which I believe I cannot recover from.
> >
> > Why does this happen, and what could I do about this?
> >
> > cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/* prints the following stuff, I
> > don't know whether this is helpful?
> >
> > access: MMAP_INTERLEAVED
>
> You have set up the device for MMAP mode

I guess the actual device being used is "default" which is probably a
dmix device that uses the hardware device as a slave.  In this case, the
hardware device will continue running even when the dmix device is in a
bad state.

Richard, was is the state of your device?  (See snd_pcm_dump() or
snd_pcm_state().)

Regards,
Clemens