[linux-audio-dev] Re: fast linear resampling on ARM - suggestions?

Kjetil S. Matheussen kjetil at ccrma.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 30 08:52:37 UTC 2006

Erik de Castro Lopo:
>Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>
>> Was this with the linear resampler lib libsamplerate? In case, you should
>> know that its terrible slow. Last time I tried, the fastest sinc resampler
>> in CLM was almost as fast as the linear resampler in libsamplerate.
>> (Erik, you should do something about that...)
>
>Maybe I haven't made myself clear. IMHO linear resampling sucks
>for audio. It is included in libsamplerate purely so I can
>show how bad it actually is.

Yeah, I remember you wrote something like that once. But you should write
it into the documentation as well, and include a note that it is not
implemented efficiently.

Actually, the best is probably if you just remove the linear resampler
all together if you are not willing to implement it properly. It is
very irritating spending lots of time figuring out why things are so slow.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your work very much, but this
particular issue is irritating. There are situations where linear
resampling is useful, for example when resampling xx sounds at once.