[linux-audio-user] RE: [linux-audio-dev] regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Mar 31 14:48:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 at 21:52 -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > Yes, absolutely.
> >
> > Seems to me that what could solve both the issue of consolidation and of
> > duplicate, mostly outdated documentation is generating a central website
> > that provides one Wiki page for every pertinent topic, whether that be a
> > specific software, system setup topic (i.e. ALSA), and/or
> > distribution-specific how-to. The end-users and/or project devs/contributors
> > could help generate the material
>
> IMHO wikis are what got us into this mess - there's nothing to stop
> users from posting wildly inaccurate information.  So you end up with
> dozens of users posting .asoundrcs that they don't understand, but
> happened to solve (or hide) some problem for them.

I don't think Lee is the only one with concerns about Wikis, and because
there are other solutions that would work just as well I recommend we
just steer towards them from the get-go.

I think Hieraki may be a good choice. It gets its name from
wiki+hierarchy (and access control). As their demo is not really
working, here's an example hieraki-powered site:
http://docs.rubyrake.org/read/book/1

The hieraki website is http://www.hieraki.org/trac/ and a good overview
with screenshots is at http://www2.truman.edu/~ah428/noc.html

I probably don't have the bandwidth to sustain the site long-term, but
if we want to try out hieraki before asking linuxaudio.org (or wherever)
to install it, I could host a quick test setup of it.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach