[linux-audio-dev] LADSPA 2

Alfons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at alcatelaleniaspace.com
Tue May 2 11:50:31 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 05:58:08PM -0400, Dave Robillard wrote:

> You are completely missing the entire point of LADSPA2.  All the
> unecessary data has been removed from the header file (ie the plugin
> code).
>
> Look at the example plugin's code, it will be painfully obvious what the
> advantage is.

A lot of plugins create what is essentially a block of constants by
dynamically allocating and initialising every bit of it. ISTR there was
(is) even an 'offical' plugin example source doing it that way.
Compared to that the new code is indeed simpler. But it's a braindead
way of doing it really, and that makes the comparison totally invalid.

I really don't see what is 'complex' or 'difficult' about e.g.

static const LADSPA_PortDescriptor pdesc0 [Ladspa_G2reverb::NPORT] =
{
    LADSPA_PORT_INPUT  | LADSPA_PORT_AUDIO,
    LADSPA_PORT_INPUT  | LADSPA_PORT_AUDIO,
    LADSPA_PORT_OUTPUT | LADSPA_PORT_AUDIO,
    LADSPA_PORT_OUTPUT | LADSPA_PORT_AUDIO,
    LADSPA_PORT_INPUT  | LADSPA_PORT_CONTROL,
};

Further, you can't really remove all of this data. Most of it
will be required by the plugin code itself, and you can't expect
it to go and read it from the RDF.

--
FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano e' questo!