[linux-audio-dev] "LADSPA2" naming redux

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed May 3 10:28:44 UTC 2006

Richard's preferred name of "PEA" (AKA anything that's not LADSPA2) got me
to thinking. What about abstracting it up one level and calling the
directory + .so files + manifest thing a POD (Plugin Object and
Description). Theres nothing particularly audio specific about the high
level construct, its "just" that we don't have a concrete ABI for dealing
with sills, video etc.

This means that what we think of as a "LADSPA2" plugin would be a
"LADSPA POD". The directory would have a .pod extension.

POD seems like a nice word to me, plenty of scope for puns, short and "pod
plugin" on google doesn't come up with anything much. The only audio
related things for "pod" I could see are: a guitar effects processor called
a PODxt (there was a POD historically), an audio I/O device called a
Firepod, and the documentation for the LADSPA Perl module. Perl docs
are the only non-coincidental hits for "LADSPA POD".

I could juggle the description stuff around the seperate pod-ness from
ladspa-ness, it's not hard, but also not neccesary.

There is a small name clash with Perl, which uses .pod for it's
documentation format, but I dont think that's really an issue, our .pods
will be found in POD_PATH (eg. /usr/lib/pod/, ~/.pod/) and be will be
directories.

Thoughts?

- Steve