[linux-audio-dev] n00b friendly latency tester

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat May 6 14:13:42 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 05:54 +0200, Dominic Sacré wrote:
> On Saturday, 6. May 2006 01:06, Lee Revell wrote:
> > After some discussions at LAC I think a user friendly latency tester is
> > needed so users have an easy way to test a setup, something better than
> > than just installing apps and being mystified when they get tons of
> > xruns.
>
> I think that would be very useful. Exactly what kind of latencies would
> this tool measure?

Same as the existing CLI tools - it would start an RT thread that polls
on the RTC, then tell the user to generate some load (switch windows, do
a find /, pingflood the default gateway, whatever), then report back the
maximum latency.

> > The backend is trivial (there are a bunch of similar little tools out
> > there), but I'm not a GUI person.  Would anyone like to help design and
> > implement this?  Since time is money ;-) a simple Gnome and/or KDE
> > front end would be the easiest way to start, and of course there should
> > be a separation between the GUI and the back end so anyone can
> > implement a leaner version if they want to.  Anyone want to help with
> > the GUI side?
>
> To me the GUI appears a lot more trivial than the backend :) So I'd like
> to offer my help writing a GTK frontend (steering clear of any particular
> Gnome/KDE dependencies).
>
> Are you going to make a fully functional command line version?

I'd like to, this is why I said the GUI should be separate from the back
end.

I don't have the bandwidth to do the whole thing - I need someone (or a
few people) to make a mockup GUI and then I'll wire up the buttons.

Lee