[linux-audio-dev] n00b friendly latency tester

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sun May 7 13:22:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 12:56 +0200, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:
> I kinda thought rtc_wakeup was obsolete these days, as the kernel
> tools are a much better instrument [assuming you use a -rt kernel, or
> does vanilla have the latency tracing et. al. stuff these days, too?].
> So maybe it is still useful for a non-rt kernel. But what serious
> audio user would use a non-rt kernel?

I think more will use the mainline kernel as it gets better (keyboard
players are perfectly fine with 5ms latency which mainline can certainly
deliver).  And the latency tracer has overhead (if you oprofile it you
will see mcount() eats 1-2% of your CPU), and is complicated for users
who aren't linux experts to use.

We know the -rt kernel is OK for audio, but it would be nice to be able
to tell users "is this random kernel that I am running likely to be OK
for audio"

Lee