[linux-audio-dev] Re: NAB trade show

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon May 8 17:20:28 UTC 2006

On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 05:28:36PM -0500, Ben Loftis wrote:

> > So what did you see?
> >

> Not much honestly.  Digi was demo'ing the new version of PT but they are just
> playing catchup with the innovative companies at this point.  The coolest
> thing at the show was definitely Ardour, which we were using as a playback
> and recording machine for our mixing consoles.

Man, I wish I had seen that.

Next year, maybe we need a LinuxAudio NAB guide of what cool linux audio
stuff to look for.  Maybe I'll remember to set up a wiki for something
like this next spring.

Also, SpectSoft (maker of a Linux based video DDR system) hosted a linux
party this year.  I'm fairly sure that audio people would be welcome,
but they didn't get the word out in that direction at all.  I'm going to
suggest that to them for next year.

One uplifting thing I saw was that Baselight (a digital film grading and
finishing system from FilmLight) uses Jack for it's audio IO support.  I
don't know how much they do with audio, other than presumably record and
play back tracks.  I thought it was cool seeing them embrace Jack though
rather than either inventing their own or sticking with safe old OSS.

> > One this I've been wondering is how do the 5.1 upmix boxes work?  The
> > ones that take in stereo and convert it to surround sound.  The sales
>
> There are infinite ways to do this and none of them make the music sound
> better than stereo. OK I guess "better" is subjective but there's certainly
> no "correct" way to do it.  You can easily derive a center/sub channel but
> most systems do something hideous when it comes to the rear channels.

I'd imagine so.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net