[linux-audio-dev] Skype, ekiga, audacity, other audio util probs.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 20 07:31:04 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 22:19 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Any hints that result in getting something like skype or ekiga
>>> working will be applied with many profuse thanks offered.
>>>

>> What ALSA version (/proc/asound/version)?
>>
> root at diablo skype]# cat /proc/asound/version
> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.11rc2 (Wed Jan 04
> 08:57:20 2006 UTC).
>
>> Which driver is being used?
>  From an lsmod:
> snd_atiixp_modem       15433  1
> snd_seq_dummy           3781  0
> snd_atiixp             19157  2
> snd_ac97_codec         83937  2 snd_atiixp_modem,snd_atiixp
> snd_ac97_bus            2497  1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_seq_oss            28993  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      7105  1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq                47153  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device          8909  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss            45009  0
> snd_mixer_oss          16449  2 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                76869  4
> snd_atiixp_modem,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              22597  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd                    50501  14
> snd_atiixp_modem,snd_atiixp,snd_ac97_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
>
> soundcore               9377  2 snd
> snd_page_alloc         10441  3 snd_atiixp_modem,snd_atiixp,snd_pcm
>

>> Any change if you run the apps with "aoss"? e.g. "aoss ./skype"
>>
>> Lee
>>

> aoss apparently not installed:
> [root at diablo skype]# aoss ./skype
> bash: aoss: command not found
>
> Note that skype is the only oss program, but that ekiga and audacity are
> similarly plagued.
>
> I can find no 'aoss' containing file with yumex.

I should add another program which is crippled by this same problem Lee,
     is grip.  It can rip a cd, but cannot play the cd even when not
ripping it.  And the ripped sound isn't up to the usual quality, often
sounding as if the playback is of a file that over-drove the d/a in
playback,  or the a/d in the recording, eg clipped.  A far cry from
grips usual crystal clear results.

Ditto for any other player program I'd tried and kde has a plethora of
them, none can play a cd through the speakers.  Audacities playback vu
meters stay pretty consistently above the -2 db mark when a gripped ogg
file is loaded, and will mark the red overload at someplace above 0 db
before the whole selection loaded has played more than 10% of the piece.

Is this sounding like any problem you've encountered?

And, what rpm contains this 'aoss' thing?

--
Cheers, Gene