[linux-audio-dev] Skype, ekiga, audacity, other audio util probs.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 20 15:22:45 UTC 2006

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Sat, 2006-05-20 at 02:31 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> I should add another program which is crippled by this same problem
>>> Lee,      is grip.  It can rip a cd, but cannot play the cd even when
>>> not ripping it.  And the ripped sound isn't up to the usual quality,
>>> often sounding as if the playback is of a file that over-drove the
>>> d/a in playback,  or the a/d in the recording, eg clipped.  A far cry
>>> from grips usual crystal clear results.
>>
>> i use grip and skype and they both work perfectly for me. i suspect that
>> your problem may be driver related rather than app related. i do not use
>> aoss - generally i have JACK running on my hdsp interface and leave the
>> builtin ICH5 interface for "consumer" applications (like skype, web
>> browser playback etc)
>>
>> --p
>>
> hdsp?  Thats a new one on me.  This is an HP Pavilion dv5329us,  and has
> the ATI-IXP audio stuffs loaded.  There is an HDSPconf in the kde
> mutlimedia menu's, but it doesn't run when its launched.  Is it supposed
> to, or does it need something running as a pre-requisite?

I found that both HDSPMixer and HDSPConf were part of a previous 1.0.10
release of alsa-tools, and that this alsa-tools could be removed without
any dependencies on the rest of the alsa install.  However, there is not
a replacement of this package for 1.0.11rcX.

Was this something thats supposed to address this chipsets apparent
inability to do full duplex audio?

--
Cheers, Gene