[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Sonic Visualiser: An application for audio visualisation and analysis

Asbjørn Sæbø asbjs at stud.ntnu.no
Tue May 23 09:45:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 03:27:15PM +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:

> Announcing Sonic Visualiser, an application for viewing and analysing
> the contents of music audio files.
>
>   http://www.sonicvisualiser.org/
> [...]

Thanks!
I haven't looked much into it yet, but this seems like a great tool.

I do however have problems with audio playback, with Sonic Visualiser
(SV) reporting that it is not able to open an audio device.

What I do:
----------
* I start qjackctl, and start jack, with no appearant errors.
* I start SV, open a new session, and import an audio file.  (So far, I
  have tried mp3 and wav.)  The file is displayed, and an notification
  box pops up, with the text "Could not open an audio device for
  playback. Audio playback will not be available during this session."

The output from SV (all of it included further below) says that
--------------
ERROR: AudioJACKTarget: Failed to connect to JACK server
WARNING: AudioTargetFactory::createCallbackTarget: Failed to open JACK target
--------------

There is no sign of anything related to SV in the qjackctl "Connections"
window nor in the "Messages" window.

What I'd expect:
----------------
I would have expected SV to connect to the running jack without any
problems.  Especially since other programs (timemachine, hydrogen) seems
to connect without any problems.  (I am able to play back with hydrogen.)

Questions:
----------
Why doesn't SV connect to jack?
Am I doing anything wrong?
What should I try next?

With kind regards,
Asbjørn Sæbø

The full output from SV (started from a terminal):
asbjs at ansatt20:~/tmp$ ./sonic-visualiser
GetProcessStatus returned correct status for this process
FeatureExtractionPluginFactory::instance(vamp): creating new FeatureExtractionPluginFactory
VAMP path is: "/usr/local/lib/vamp:/usr/lib/vamp:/home/asbjs/vamp:/home/asbjs/.vamp"
[/home/asbjs/dssi] [/home/asbjs/.dssi] [/usr/local/lib/dssi] [/usr/lib/dssi]
[/home/asbjs/.ladspa] [/usr/local/lib/ladspa] [/usr/lib/ladspa]
QPainter::begin: Widget painting can only begin as a result of a paintEvent
Document::addLayerToView: Layer with no model being added to view: normally you want to set the model first
Document::addLayerToView: Layer with no model being added to view: normally you want to set the model first
QPainter::begin: Widget painting can only begin as a result of a paintEvent
Document::addLayerToView: Layer with no model being added to view: normally you want to set the model first
Document::addLayerToView: Layer with no model being added to view: normally you want to set the model first
ERROR: AudioJACKTarget: Failed to connect to JACK server
WARNING: AudioTargetFactory::createCallbackTarget: Failed to open JACK target
ERROR: AudioPortAudioTarget: Failed to initialize PortAudio
WARNING: AudioTargetFactory::createCallbackTarget: Failed to open PortAudio target
WARNING: AudioTargetFactory::createCallbackTarget: No suitable targets available