[linux-audio-dev] [ANN] aubio 0.3.0

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Tue May 23 10:16:21 UTC 2006

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> Paul Brossier wrote:
>
>> The latest version of aubio, 0.3.0, is now available. aubio is a library
>> for audio labelling. The goal of this project is to provide automatic
>> feature extraction algorithms to other audio software projects. Features
>> include onset detection, beat tracking, and pitch detection. Functions
>> can be used offline in sound editors and software samplers, or online in
>> audio effects and virtual instruments.
>>
>> This release features several changes:
>>
>>     * new pitch detection method, yinfft
>>     * new beat tracking algorithm (improved from 0.2.0)
>>     * new puredata external     * enhancements to the onset detection
>> algorithms
>>     * improved aubiocut, can now slice at beats and silences
>>     * new aubiopitch python program to extract pitch tracks
>>     * plotting features for aubiocut and aubiopitch
>>     * python interface refactored
>>     * updated documentation
>>     As usual, the source code can be found at http://aubio.piem.org/
>> , and Debian packages are available from http://piem.org/debian/ .
>> Feedback most appreciated!
>>
>> Paul Brossier
>>

> Hi Paul,
>
> This looks like it could be a useful addition to jackEQ.
>
> Do you mind having a look http://jackeq.sf.net and letting me know how
> you think it could be applied?

I had this idea once to use aubio to implement a 'jackd transport time
sync source', i.e. retrieving the bpm and adjusting the beat so that
jackd-transport aware applications (like hydrogen) can run in sync with
external music.

The idea is to enable easy live use of drum machines, samplers and tempo
aware audio players in e.g. a DJ context. But this could also be used to
automatically create the Tap tempo for delays etc...

I even started to implement this, but some other coding got in the way...

Greets,

Pieter