[linux-audio-dev] compiler problem?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri May 26 13:56:22 UTC 2006

Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:
>
>> Greetings;
>>
>> Since I can't get any of the common VoIP things to work due to a lack of
>> duplex function in my lappy's chipset, and my inability to convince the
>> person bugtrack assigned to my bugzilla entry that its not my fault, I
>> thought I'd try zfone next.
>>
>> Unforch, the first step, ./configure, fails with 2 stanza's of this:
>> checking linux/byteorder/little_endian.h usability... no
>> checking linux/byteorder/little_endian.h presence... yes
>> configure: WARNING: linux/byteorder/little_endian.h: present but cannot
>> be compiled
>
> Is this a device driver or a user space program.
>
> Basically no user space program other than libc should be using
> kernel header files.
>
> Erik

I don't have a real good understanding of it, but I believe this wedges
itself between the VoIP app, and the drivers.

That file appears to exist on this box in the usual location, and in the
kernel src trees:
root at diablo libzrtp-0.2.0]# locate big_endian.h
/usr/include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2096_FC5-i686/include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2111_FC5-i686/include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2118_FC5-i686/include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h
/usr/src/kernels/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5-i686/include/linux/byteorder/big_endian.h

In going thru the config.log, the path it used was
/usr/include/linux/byteorder, and there doesn't seem to be any reference
to a 'uname -r' to determine the path to the includes, so this doesn't
appear to be a valid conclusion on your part that it was using kernel
headers.

However, I'd also note that the kernel versions of these *endian files
are both over a kilobyte larger and several years newer.  As this is an
up 2 date, from scratch FC5 install, I was surprised to see files dated
2001 in the /usr/includes tree.

--
Cheers, Gene