[linux-audio-dev] LV2 library API

tom christie christie.tom at gmail.com
Tue May 30 12:22:59 UTC 2006

Looks good,

  I have one thought... One of the good things about moving to LV2
will be the possibility of extensions, possibly requiring new whizzy
data types / classes on the ports.
  If this is the case is it a good idea to be tied down to the "enum
SLV2DataType" which means the library has to know and support the data
type (ie. be able to map "float" to SLV2_DATA_TYPE_FLOAT), and that
new data types can only be added by changing the library.  If the data
type was presented just a char * to the string as given in the .ttl
file, then the plugin authors would be free to work with new data
types without having to get the core library changed.  (This possibly
holds for the enum SLV2PortClass too, although that's arguably less
likely to need to change (?) )
  I hope I've explained myself clearly enough! :)
Any sense in this?