[linux-audio-dev] alsa, oss , efficiency?

lemmel lem0mel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 07:30:17 UTC 2006

     Hi everyone.

for a project, we need to be able to play sound (at first look wav file), and
we made several tests ; with a created stereo sound, we try to use alsa but
the results doesn't fullfill our needs :

sound played at the time, T, we want, and finished at the date, D=T+sound
duration.
(thi is a software with strict time constraints)

The sound was always troncated (even with finished software such as xmms,
amarok), and even randomly truncated, (sound created with audacity, and
exported as WAV 16/32 bit etc).

When we use OSS, all seems to be perfect.

But, it seems that OSS is nowadays "deprecated", and consequently we shouldn't
use OSS. What we can do ? Are our alsa results due to misconfigurations  ?