[linux-audio-dev] Re: Alpha release of Aliki

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Wed Nov 1 16:22:13 UTC 2006

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:48:37AM -0600, Ben Loftis wrote:

> Can you please tell us more about Aliki?
>
> I am using Denis Sbragion's DRC program to generate an impulse response
> file, and his suite of graphing tools to generate various views of the
> measurement.
>
> What is the output of Aliki?  Just an impulse response file?  In what
> way is your method different than DRC?  Does Aliki use ALSA or JACK for I/O?

The method used is linear or logarithmic sweeps and deconvolution.
The object of Aliki is to make IR measurement easy. It has a graphical
user interface, and can work with either ALSA directly or via JACK (it
will also work without any audio interface for post-processing files).
You will get a good idea of Aliki by reading the manual.

Main functions are:

- Generating sweep files.
- Performing the actual measurement (up to 8 channels).
- Deconvolution to get the IR.
- Simple editing on the IR to prepare it for use.

This is only a small subset of what it's planned to offer in the
future.

The measured IR can be exported to WAV files.
Sox will convert this to the raw format expected by DRC.

Aliki is not designed to replace DRC, but should complement it
by providing an easy-to-use measurement solution. Some DRC-like
functionality will be included in the future, but nothing of
the sophistication of Denis Sbragion's magnificent software.

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.