[linux-audio-dev] Re: MIDI

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Sun Nov 12 17:32:35 UTC 2006

Dmitry Baikov wrote:

> What is a really major issue, that all hw synths still have that slow
> 31.5kbps link.
>
> Nonetheless, glad to hear FW-MIDI being that fast. And what about
> jitter there?
> According to RME guys, without special handling USB-MIDI can suffer
> delays about 6ms.

true

> And with FW, they state there are the same problems (no numbers here)

> and their Fireface has exceptional MIDI timing, comparing to all other
> FW-offerings.

There is jitter on the firewire bus clock too, but not nearly as bad as
USB.
The timing resolution for a byte on a FW-MIDI channel is 125us (compared
to 250us for normal MIDI). The jitter present on the ISO clock is
magnitudes lower hence doesn not play a significant role.

I'd like to see the technical motivation for this RME statement.

Pieter