[linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 07:42:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:48:07 -0500, Andres Cabrera wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here they are:
>
> www.geminiflux.com/SC1-Processed.jpg
>
> www.geminiflux.com/SC4-Processed.jpg

What's that glitch near the cursor? Is that a bug, or was it in the input
waveform?

What immediatly strikes me as wierd is that you don't get that rippling
effect in the attack, or at least it's not as pronounced. Without delving
into the code too deeply, I think theres a bug, theres some interpolation
factor that's calculated from the attack coefficient (ef_a), but then its
later applied whether were in the attack segment or the decay segment.

So actually it's not linearly interpolated, I think I was attempting to
process the gain response with the envelope function. But I'm not really
sure, as theres no comments in the code (bad Steve, no biscuit).

- Steve