[linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

Dan Mills dmills_00 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 7 13:18:24 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 20:14 +0200, David Olofson wrote:

> I don't know how fast it *actually* is, but FWIW, my old Behringer
> compressor/limiter has a lowest attack setting of 0.1 ms, and a
> lowest release setting of 50 ms.

If those sort of settings are to be available in a software compressor
then we need upsampling as the bandwidth of the sidechain must be at
least 10Khz (and possibly much higher) and the product of a 10Khz
bandwidth sidechain and a 20Khz bandwidth audio stream exceeds 1/2 the
SR for 44.1 and 48Khz.

For slower compression, the possibility of just including a low pass
filter in the sidechain processing just before the final sample * gain
calculation is an alternative.

Good dynamics processing in software is a pig.

Regards, Dan.