[linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 18 10:53:49 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 11:02:26 +0100, Dan Mills wrote:

> --- Steve Harris <S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > These are aliasing artifacts in the sidechain
> > though, right? So they will
> > show up as modulations in the output, rather than
> > directly audible
> > aliasing.
>
> The last thing almost all software compressors do is
> something of the form output = gain * sample;

It's not quite that simple. But broadly, yes, that's why I said it would
be modulated by the product of the alising. Gain is in the range (0,1] so
it will be amplitude modulated.

The alising is present in the sidechain, right? So a filterted version of
the alising will be present in the output of the gain stage.

- Steve