[linux-audio-dev] Paper on dynamic range compression

Fons Adriaensen fons.adriaensen at skynet.be
Wed Oct 18 16:37:19 UTC 2006

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:14:45PM +0100, John Rigg wrote:

> The fact remains that a lot of high end professional users consider many
> of the free software plugins to be "nearly unusable" (see Ben Loftis'
> earlier post in this thread). This isn't intended as a criticism of the
> developers, just an acknowledgement that perhaps more attention needs to be
> paid to some fairly subtle aspects of design that have not been
> considered important up to now, if these high end users are to take
> Linux audio more seriously.

One of the things missing in all the LADSPA compressors I've seen so
far is a feature called 'release gate'. This freezes the release (i.e.
the gain stops rising) if the input signal drops below a set threshold.
It helps a lot in avoiding excessive 'pumping' on some types of signal.

--
FA

Lascia la spina, cogli la rosa.