[linux-audio-dev] MIDI is playing but no sound

Mulyadi Santosa a_mulyadi at telkom.net
Mon Oct 23 09:38:57 UTC 2006

Hello everybody

Perhaps not directly related with audio development, but I will be glad
if someone can help me.

I downloaded a free MIDI file from Internet (drum sample MIDI from
"MIDI" wikipedia entry) and I tried to play it on my FC5. I am using
both aplaymidi and KMid, but no sound comes out. Other than this
silence, everything else seems OK i.e no error such as corrupted file.
I tested the same file with WIndows Media Player and it plays fine.
What was I doing wrong here?

Here is the specification:
Chip : Realtek ALC 650

ALSA: alsa-lib-devel-1.0.11-3.rc2.2,
alsa-utils-1.0.11-3.rc2,
alsa-lib-1.0.11-3.rc2.2

Kernel version: 2.6.16-1.2074_FC5

Desktop environment: KDE 3.5.1

Motherboard and chipset : MSI KT4V using VIA KT 400

Thanks in advance for the help.

regards,

Mulyadi