[Consortium] Re: [LAD] supporting developers

Stephen Sinclair radarsat1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 16:11:38 UTC 2007

> That being said, OSX server is temporary solution. We will migrate to Linux
> server soon and will do so (hopefully) transparently. Right now we are in
> the process of completing the studio and until that is done and we have
> moved, this will be a low-priority item (unless OSX decides to die on us).

Sorry to interrupt this wonderful discussion, but what about the
original thread topic?

> (2) bugzilla ? mantis ? trac ?- any volunteers, experts?

I'm not sure, but I like how sf also supports patch tracking along
with bug tracking.  I would have suggested bugzilla in the past but it
seems trac is becoming quite popular.  Someone more familiar might be
able to comment.

> (3) subversion seems to be the common denominator!

Agreed.  However, I think supporting a git tree might be quite easy to
have as well.
Svn and git are the two I would vote for.

> (4) once we've consolidated the server backend - you can request new
mailing-lists to be hosted at linuxaudio.org!

Very cool.

> (5) frankly: the sf.net file-release system sucks! and so do most

What about just letting people do file releases on their hosted web site?
I don't really see the need for an official release tracking system,
though I'm sure there are arguments for it.

> (6) once there are Forums on linuxaudio.org we can revisit the
per-project forum idea... ;) - drupal should already be able to do it!

Personally I'm a fan of the post-to-the-mailing-list-via-the-web style
of forum.  In other words, a merged forum and mailing list.  Of
course, this might encourage spamming so protections would have to be
in place, but honestly I find it annoying when there is both a forum
and a mailing list to discuss the same topic, but they are not
connected.

My 2c.

Cheers,
Steve