[LAD] A Cathedral in your backyard

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Apr 25 08:02:29 UTC 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:15:35AM +0200, Jens M Andreasen wrote:

> What I think would be possible as an experiment though (without
> involving a budget the size of the Pope or TU-Berlin), is to place a
> large amount of uniform speakers in a circle and then feed them with the
> same monophonic signal. If everything works as expected, it should then
> appear like the sound emerges from the center of the circular array of
> speakers.
> Would that work?

It probably would, *if* you can get all speakers to be exactly in phase
over the entire frequency band. This will be difficult at HF, and having
part of the range  not focused will destroy the effect and identify the
radios as the source of the sound.

You don't even need a full circle or sphere. I'm currently involved in
a project using an array of 228 speakers / 64 channels suspended as a 3m
diameter 'chandelier' from the ceiling. It will create sound sources moving
above and around the listener's head.

FA

Follie! Follie! Delirio vano è questo !