[LAD] A Cathedral in your backyard

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Wed Apr 25 11:03:48 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 11:33 +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Jens M Andreasen wrote:

> imagine you are standing off-center. all speakers start playing. two
> problems: one, if the auditorium is large, the speakers close to you
> might hit a lot earlier than those on the opposite side. if they are
> more than about 30ms apart, the haas effect kicks in and you will
> localize the sound as coming from the closer speakers.
> two, if the levels of the far and close speakers differ by more than 6-8
> db, you will localize the sound at the louder source even without the
> haas effect. not so much an issue, because such arrays carry a long way
> and the level does not drop much.
>

> > Is origo a special case that doesn't work?
>
> origo?

Origo is the name of the center of a cartesian space where we have x = 0
and y = 0. The word "original" may ring a bell? This is where it all
originates or is derived from.

I am assuming a four quadrant system with negative as well as positive
values to map our floor-space.

>  > I would have thought it to be
> > the simple base-case, even simpler than the "dropping the soap in a
> > bathtub, but reversed" wawe propagation I suggested earlier.
>
> yes. reversed. i'm not an expert on this, but my guess is that when you
> try such things, you have to take into account that it is *not* a
> standing wave field. it travels, but in the wrong direction. that means
> your ITD cues (interaural timing difference) will be wrong.

Well, I am certainly no expert either but I know that we can sometimes
be easily lured, not being able to tell the difference between a
pre-delay and a post-delay. What is at play her is that there is a
stronger signal present that we prefere to believe in. So it is
acceptable with a weak pre-delay signal from certain speakers close to
you, as long as you will immidiately after be overwhelmed by  a stronger
signal showing "the true origin" of the signal.

/jens