[LAD] Eye of the beholder

Jens M Andreasen jens.andreasen at comhem.se
Wed Apr 25 16:15:20 UTC 2007

A defence for 5.1

The 3D-system discussed in the other thread (Cathedral in your backyard)
is not really fit for cinematography.

Huh? - you might say - You just admitteded that you figured out the
basic principles of how it works?

Yes, but it is still not fit for cinematography and here is why.

Allow me to invite you in to my virtual theatre; It is early morning as
I walk across sct Marcus Square, the pidgins gets annoyed and flies away
out over the audience (that would be you.)
I lift my hand and follow them with my eyes ...

Now we could imagine two scenarios, either this is me performing live or
you are looking at a photographic image at a screen in the cinema.

Suppose we are at the cinema then, in which direction are the pidgins
flying? Through the center of the cinema or across your head?

At the cinema you would all have a visual experince of what happened as
if you were sitting at the point of the camera position. The pidgins did
not really fly over you, but over the camera and it doesn't matter if
you are sitting left or right, you'd still experience the visuals from
the camera position and most likely expect the sound to follow suit.

For arguments sake, lets suppose there exist a sound of pidgins flying
out of screen to .. Ehrmm, somewhere.

A completely different scenario would be if I was live on stage, and
agin for the sake of argument say in the cinema closest to you.

Now when I lift my hand and follow those virtual pidgins, those of you
to the right will see the left side of my arm and expect the pidgins to
flutter out on your right side, those to the right will expect the
opposite to happen.

Really, none of you would buy it. It worked in the movie, but having me
standing there live is disturbing and erronius (or the sound is all
wrong?)

For a final display, let me introduce Joe Labero!! (applause, applause)

[me]  Joe, how does it feel to be at TU-Berlin tonight?
[joe] Oh, just like any other place where I've performed. It's a lovely
audience tonight though ...

Joe slings an arm towards the audience, and 200 pidgins appears to
circle around the room before returning back to stage.

Joe now have some five or seven white pidgins crawling around his suit
and in his hair.

[me]  Joe!? How did you do that!?
[joe] I didn't, it's just an illusion >;->

mvh // Jens M Andreasen