[LAD] [ANN] pyliblo 0.5

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Thu Apr 26 20:46:34 UTC 2007

Hi Tim,

On Thursday 26 April 2007, Tim Blechmann wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 15:17 +0200, Dominic Sacré wrote:
> > pyliblo is a Python wrapper for the liblo OSC library. It does not
> > yet wrap all of liblo's functionality, but includes everything you
> > need to send and receive almost any kind of OSC message, using a nice
> > and simple Python API. OSC can hardly get any easier :)
>
> i'm curious, what's the advantage of pyliblo over these native python
> implementations of osc?
> http://space.k-hornz.de/space/uploads/OSC.py
> http://www.ixi-software.net/content/body_backyard_osc.html

Yeah, there have already been some OSC implementations for Python around.
Well, first of all, OSC.py only supports sending, it doesn't have any
functionality for receiving messages.
There's nothing wrong with SimpleOSC, but I wanted to take advantage of
some of the additional features offered by liblo.
For example, liblo (and thus pyliblo) takes care of things like finding a
free port, matching argument types, type coercion, or running the OSC
server in its own thread, so that the main thread can continue doing GUI
stuff or something.
With pyliblo, all this requires very little effort from the programmer.
And IMHO it has a cleaner and more pythonic API than any of the
alternatives :)

Cheers,
    Dominic