[LAD] Ardour session archiver (Was: new lossless/lossy audio compressor)

Phil Frost indigo at bitglue.com
Thu Aug 2 13:28:56 UTC 2007

The reason for using floats is as you said, it's huge dynamic range does
far exceed human hearing or any reproduction hardware, but it is handy
for internal computations. Floats are practically impossible to clip, and
even very quiet signals get at least 24 significant bits. Many filters
and effects can have internal stages at a level very different than the
signal.

 The reason ardour uses floats is because it's what jackd uses, so it's
the most straightforward way to record losslessly. Jackd uses it because
it assumes there may be several processing stages between the input and
output. For example, a given channel may be recorded from a microphone,
go through a compressor, some reverb, a gain stage, then be mixed with
several other channels. It makes more sense to perform the integer ->
float conversion once at the A->D, and once again at the D->A, than to
perform it between each linked stage. The conversion is not necessarily
lossless, so each conversion has some cost in noise and distortion.

Jack isn't the only software using floats; I know at least Apple's Core
Audio uses floats end-to-end too. LADSPA plugins use floats on inputs
and outputs by specification, which I think predates jack. I imagine
floats are used internally for a good many effects that have integer
inputs and outputs, and I seem to recall some DAW softwares touting
their (sometimes double precision) floatiness as a feature.