[LAD] handling data streams: file vs callback

Dirk Jagdmann doj at cubic.org
Fri Aug 3 15:01:07 UTC 2007

Hello Patrick,

> I'm trying to jackify xwax. Xwax is a linux based emulator for Rane
> serato and Final scratch.
> I have successfully adapted the code from jackEQ to allow xwax to
> register and connect several JACK i/o's.
> However the original system uses file descriptors for handling the data
> (oss/alsa) internally and this is not instantly compatible with the JACK
> callback system. At least it's not obvious to me how to link the

I don't know xwax, but since it currently has oss and alsa output I
guess it is using a "blocking IO" model instead of the "callback" model
of jack. Restructuring the logic from blocking to callbacks can be
complicated. I you want to have a first result have a look at
http://bio2jack.sourceforge.net/ which should fill your gap.

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann ^ doj / cubic
----> http://cubic.org/~doj