[LAD] [Ardour-Users] TAP EQ issues, revisited

Steven Chamberlain steven at pyro.eu.org
Sun Aug 5 19:32:51 UTC 2007

Mike Taht wrote:
> I completely rewrote tap eq while on vacation last month to be pure
> sse2, using doubles for extra resolution, with no denormal problems,
> and, at least on x86_64, far greater speed, especially for the stereo
> version.

Excellent work, I was hoping someone would write an EQ plugin using SSE2
(I don't know of any existing ones).

> I have tested extensively on my own machine but have not cleaned up
> the code enough to justify a formal release, perhaps our efforts can
> be synced....

My own 'efforts' don't amount to much so far, but I'm working on a
test-bed to analyse LADSPA plugins, and I can continue to monitor your
snapshots for any issues.

One bug I found so far, is that if I call run() with a block size of 1,
do_eq() is run with sample_count of 2.  This causes the 'output' buffer
to be overrun inside of the switch(numfilt) block.

Also I have to ask whether both the original TAP plugins and your own,
should set HINT_LOGARITHMIC for the frequency and/or gain parameters?

And I'm not sure what msp_eq.c.good is for, maybe that wants deleting?

Anyway, please keep up the good work.

Paul Davis wrote:
> you'd better make sure you turn off Ardour's denormal protection if
> you want to duplicate it. This was added to 2.0.3 IIRC.

That's a good point, but I had that turned off.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven at pyro.eu.org