[LAD] "enhanced event port" LV2 extension proposal

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 01:29:27 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 19:39 -0500, Dave Robillard wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 22:25 +0000, Krzysztof Foltman wrote:
> > Lars Luthman wrote:
> > > with data padded to 4+N*16 bytes
> > 4 + N*8. 16 is excessive, while 4 is not enough (to be able to store
> > aligned doubles or 64-bit pointers).
> >
> > But, yes, I think header is ready. Right, Dave?
>
> Works for me, I get my timestamp :)
>
> On to the buffer header (same as MIDI?  more clever?) and the URI<->int
> mechanism..

Aligned to 8 bytes sounds good to me too. Done.

I'm happy with a port buffer header that has the same layout as the
current MIDI one (I should be...).

For the URI<->int mapping, I've changed my mind and vote for a separate
Feature that you have to explicitly list in the RDF file. It may be
useful for other extensions where you need to have arbitrarily
extendable stuff that you want to match to your known data reasonably
fast. The actual mapping would be done by the host by passing a
NULL-terminated URI array as the data for that Feature, where the index
of an URI in the array is the associated integer value. Or maybe we
should pass the size of the array as well and require that it's sorted
in lexicographical order, so a clever plugin can do a binary search? Not
really important, it will only happen at instantiation time anyway.

--ll