[linux-audio-dev] Python

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Wed Feb 7 16:03:58 UTC 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:57:10PM +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
> tasks. For once, the current implementation relies heavily on dynamic
> memory allocation, which makes it hard to control what happens when
> memory wise. Whether this is inherent to the language itself, or its
> implementation, I don't know, thi is beyond my knowledge.

Well, the language itself is highly dynamic, you can rebind pretty
much anything to any type of object at any time, so the runtime has to
be pretty flexible.

> Could be intereseting to ask to the pypy's folks about the possibility
> of having a real time capability to python (pypy is an implementation
> of python in python, with the goal to have a flexible  implementation,
> this making changin many key points of python "easy".

It's not just flexibility, they also want to make things much more
optimization-friendly.  It's definitely an important project in the
python world, but frankly a lot of what they are doing is way beyond
me :-)

I suspect if "realtime python" is even possible, there would have to
be some restrictions to get things realtime safe... which would still
probably be pretty useful :-)

Maybe something like the "restricted python" they're using to
implement a lot of pypy?
http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/coding-guide.html#restricted-python

--

Paul Winkler