[linux-audio-dev] processing plugin standard wrapper

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 17:47:53 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 18:22 +0100, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 10:21 +0100, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:
> > I understand that most of you don't feel the need to have such thing,
> > because LADSPA support is everywhere and lots of LADSPA plugins are
> > good, but from my point of view there are thousands of VST plugins
> > around and thousands of hardware machines that use VST and that little
> > program I'm going to write simply can't ignore this situation.
>
> actually i'd rather like to see all audio plugin interfaces vanish.
> audio plugins is a concept from the closed source world. i've worked
> long enough with it to be able to say that this concept is severely
> flawed in multiple ways.

There is definitely something to be said for a user just having to
install a single plugin package of, say, a cool new filter, and
immediately have it work in his modular synth, his sample editor, his
harddisk recorder etc. Having the source doesn't help someone who
doesn't know how to program, and even if it was trivial to take the
filter code and wrap it in new interfaces for the modular synth, the
sample editor, and the harddisk recorder, that is a lot of unnecessary
work. Sure, one single plugin interface is usually not perfect for all
uses, but having to write multiple interfaces is even less ideal.

--ll