[linux-audio-dev] processing plugin standard wrapper

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 18:29:04 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 19:15 +0100, Leonard Ritter wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 18:47 +0100, Lars Luthman wrote:
> > There is definitely something to be said for a user just having to
> > install a single plugin package of, say, a cool new filter, and
> > immediately have it work in his modular synth, his sample editor, his
> > harddisk recorder etc. Having the source doesn't help someone who
> > doesn't know how to program,
>
> you are switching from one radical to the other. there are possibilities
> and advantages between those poles, but as said, this needs to be
> fleshed out and turned into some kind of blog article. i have this
> thought boiling for quite some time, and i suppose it's about time i
> elaborate on it.

Well, if you want a piece of code to work in multiple environments you
either need to write multiple interfaces or make sure that those
different environments are equivalent from the new code's point of view
(i.e. uses a common plugin interface). I don't see how there can be
anything inbetween.

--ll