[linux-audio-dev] processing plugin standard wrapper

Loki Davison loki.davison at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 04:24:19 UTC 2007

On 2/15/07, Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2007/2/14, Xavier Amatriain <xavier at create.ucsb.edu>:
> > Hard to jump in the thread at this point, but let me try...
> >
> > I agree that the plugin approach is severely flawed in many senses
> > (including the false sense of "freedom" that gives to developers that
> > are then caught in proprietary specifications). Having a better open
> > standard like LV2 is a good thing but I see Stefano's point because this
> > is not going to help promote interoperability, is it?
>
> Right.
>
> > My humble opinion is that the solution is already sketched out by
> > existing tools. Imagine an open standard that combines audio streaming
> > connection a la Jack with control interchange a la OSC. Make it 100%
> > cross-platform, add a little of Dataflow theory into it to guarantee
> > proper scheduling and avoiding deadlocks and... voila!
>
> ... just a dream? :-)
>
> > Curiously enough this has a lot to do with another email sent by another
> > CLAM developer (Pau) to the list ("Data-flow systems integration").
> >
> > I think an effort in integrating data + control inter-application
> > communication would be much more worthwhile than following the plugin
> > route.
> >
> > Stefano, have you though what your wrapper will suffer when let's say
> > VST 3.0 is published and you have to rewrite all your stuff simply
> > because Steinberg has decided to rename a few functions or change the
> > behavior of many others. Are you going to support a subset of the
> > specification (like most hosts do)? a subset of all of them? a superset?
>
> I mean a superset and I know that's a tremendous amount of work, I do
> hope that someone will join in.
>
> > Also your talk on LTI makes me think that you are not familiar with
> > models of computation (e.g. Dataflow Networks). Contact me off-list if
> > you need good pointers).
>
> I'm going to do it right now. I'm just a beginner in DSP-related stuff
> (I have my first DSP exam the day after tomorrow), but it interests me
> a lot.
> I have some texts on the topic, but knowledge is always welcome :-)
>
> Stefano

As a beginner maybe it is a much more solid option to work on writing
some simple lv2 plugins instead of a new plugin wrapper/standard. Some
new plugins would probably benifit everyone much more than even more
hot air. Helping out with the lv2 zyn efforts would be pretty awesome
and I'm sure working on an existing project is great for having some
direction and assistance at getting better.

Loki