[linux-audio-dev] Programming language

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Thu Feb 22 23:19:12 UTC 2007

Carlo Trimarchi wrote:
> One plays notes on the keyboard and it memorizes and shows them on a
> staff. There you can modify the duration of a note and other things
> and then playback.

Ok, so then you probably want to build a MIDI application, not audio.
That narrows it down a bit. :) Translating raw MIDI input to a score can
be a tough problem, though. You might wish to take a look at the sources
of the Rosegarden sequencer/notation program to see how they do it.
Rosegarden has an "advanced" MIDI quantiser, but I'm not sure how well
it deals with tempo fluctuations and complex meters. Programs that just
take raw MIDI input and figure out tempo, upbeats, meter, tuplets etc.
all on their don't exist yet. This is a top notch research problem
related to the automatic transcription of music.

Welcome to the exciting world of computer music! :) If you're new to
this, you might wish to read a good book (or two or three...) on the
subject. Curtis Roads' Computer Music Tutorial would be a good start, I
think.

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag